Movement Research at the Judson Church Fall 2012 – Spring 2013 Season Application Guidelines
What is Movement Research at the Judson Church?
A high visibility, low-tech forum on Monday nights throughout the fall and spring seasons. Movement Research at the Judson Church supports experiments in performance rather than finished products.
Proposals to participate in the 2012/13 Season: September 24, 2012 – June 2013
NEW INFORMATION: Proposals must be emailed or hand-delivered (by 6pm for hand-delivery) or postmarked no later than August 16, 2012. Please note: Anyone selected to show work on the Spring 2012 Season (March – June 2012) is ineligible to apply for the Fall/Winter Season, but may opt to apply for the Spring 2013 season.
Please include one copy of the following items in your application:
1. Completed application form (click here to download form)
2. A brief and clear description (500 words max) of proposed ideas to be investigated,
3. Artist bio (250 words max)
4. Description of work sample (150 words max, included on application form)
• PLEASE PLACE ITEMS 2 – 4 ON NO MORE THAN ONE OR TWO 8.5×11 inch SHEETS OF PAPER.
• IF SUBMITTING BY EMAIL ITEMS 2–4 must be formatted as a 8.5x11inch PDF attachment.
5. Work sample that best represents your artistic thinking (more details below)
6. Self addressed stamped envelope for return of work samples, should you want. Please do not use meter strips. Envelopes without sufficient postage will be held at MR’s offices for pick up. Please do not send press kits, reviews or other materials not requested above. These items will not be submitted to the panel for review.
Work Sample Guidelines:
• URLs (eg. Vimeo, YouTube, etc.) are encouraged. Both URL and DVDs are accepted.
• If this is part of a larger work, do not send just the excerpt; include the entire work on your URL or DVD.
• Do not send promotional videos/DVDs or multiple edited clips as a works sample; they will not be reviewed. Sample must show contiguous footage of a work.
• Include a cue point if you would like us to review a certain section. Please choose only one cuepoint, not multiple cue point.
• It is not necessary that your sample be of the work you are proposing for Judson. The sample may be a performance sample or a sample of ideas in progress (rehearsal footage of new ideas).
• Be aware that, due to the volume of applicants, we cannot (rehearsal footage of new ideas).
• Be aware that, due to the volume of applicants, we cannot guarantee that the committee will watch more than 3-5 minutes of your sample. Please choose your cue point appropriately.
Criteria for selection and context:
Movement Research (MR) continues to serve as a creative laboratory and incubator for emerging artists and ideas. The Movement Research at the Judson Church series is one of a number of MR programs intended to foster rigorous and wide-ranging artistic investigations and nurture experimentation in movement-based forms. An ongoing, free, high-visibility low-tech forum in front of a live audience, this series attracts diverse intergenerational artists at all stages of their creative development and audiences from the dance community and general public. Because MR supports creative process, not final product, the Movement Research at the Judson Church series is for exploration of ideas, not a venue for finished work or a season presentation.
Proposals are reviewed by a rotating committee of artists.
Please email by August 16th to email@example.com, or hand-deliver by 6pm on August 16th to:
Judson Fall 2012 – Spring 2013 Panel
55 Avenue C
New York, NY 10009
Proposals to participate in the 2012/13 Season: September 24, 2012 â€“ June 2013.
Please note: Anyone selected to show work on the Spring 2012 Season (March â€“ June 2012) is ineligible to apply for the Fall/Winter Season, but may opt to apply for the Spring 2013 season.
The application form is most compatible with Adobe Acrobat, or a comparable program. You can also save the form as a new pdf to retain information, if you are not working in a program that allows you to edit the pdf. Should you have unsolvable difficulties, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your question. We are a part time staff, so please allow some time for us to respond.