As part of the creation and presentation of THE PEOPLE in Portland, Big Art Group is offering a free 3 day workshop in the company’s training and compositional strategies with technology and the body. Open to people with or without previous performance training.
Hybrid Body / Simultaneous Presence
A 3 day workshop September 1-3, 2011 at Washington High School (SE Stark)from 1-5pm
1. an introduction of Big Art Group’s Performance Practice (Real Time Film)
2. training and introduction to technology and concepts
3. time-limited studio compositional exercises
4. expansion of dramaturgy to the wider scope of THE PEOPLE
5. large group 4 channel compositions based on the themes of the project to be recorded and included in Big ART Group/PICA THE PEOPLE-Portland production September 6-8. (Attendance not required)
-Real Time Film; Task Based Choreography, or training the body for simultaneous presence. Movement based training in awareness of the video camera and its frame; learning multiple presence, or how to accomplish overlapping performance goals through moment-to-moment acting; dramaturgy of the Image; technical discussions about evolutions in image technology and the use of technology in performance.
-Video Puppetry; Radical Exchangeability; Queering Character: creating a character that exists only as an assemblage of the effort of several actors. Working as a group, exchanging control, and thinking as a cyborg. “Queer” used as a model for thinking beyond boundaries.
-Subverting Disposability- constructing performance from socially discarded objects, ideas, and stories. Constructing sets from trash, examining the role of “Junk Fiction.”