Location: North Central Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Deadline: February 28, 2014
Duration: 5/12-9/15/14 (4 months)
Eligibility: East Coast emerging to mid-career artists or collectives who are atleast 21 years of age; are NOT employed at a full-time job at the start of the residency; are NOT enrolled full time in an undergraduate or graduate program at the start of the residency; can provide examples of past work; have worked on collaborative, community-based projects within the last five years.
Beginning January 15, 2014, The Village of Arts and Humanities requests proposals from individuals and collectives, for two, four-month artist residencies in cycle one of SPACES: Artist Residency at The Village.
Through SPACES, youth and families in North Central Philadelphia collaborate with resident artists to explore how the process of sharing artistic practice and engaging in meaningful exchanges of information within a community, can nurture the creation of SPACE—space to create, to dream, to build, and to transform physical landscapes.
SPACES artists will live in creatively renovated row homes in The Village Heart, a four square block area consisting of 14 art parks and nine program buildings, all woven into the existing residential and commercial fabric of the neighborhood. During each residency, artists will engage with community members through informal and Village facilitated dialogue, programs, apprenticeships, or workshops, to design and execute an original, transformative project rooted in art, born from the artists’ relationships with the community, and realized in partnership with community members.
We invite a new generation of artists to continue the Village’s legacy; one that supports and encourages students and community members to utilize artistic skill and creative problem solving in activating spaces in our neighborhood—both physical and imagined.
2014 APPLICATION TIMELINE
RFP and application released
Village tours available (highly recommended)
Deadline for applications (11:59 pm, EST)
Semi-finalist project budget deadline (in collaboration with Village Executive Director)
Interviews of semi-finalists
Final notification of grantees
Cycle one of SPACES
Grant Award Details:
• One, $10,000 stipend per artist or artist collective (we invite artists from ANY and ALL genres).
• Free housing and studio space.
• Access to The Village’s arts facilities, including program buildings, art parks and urban farm.
• Curated, publicized and facilitated speaking engagements, exhibitions, or workshops at Philadelphia-based arts, culture and educational venues.
• Printed and online publication (catalog, reflection from artists about their experience, curriculum guides from artist and directors).
• Assistance gaining access/use of building and/or lots in The Village Heart or adjacent Germantown-Lehigh commercial corridor.
• Creative and resource-based support from The Village’s network of artists, community activists, organizers, and enthusiasts.
• Integration with The Village — access to our formalized youth arts, culture, and environmental programs.
Get information, download application materials, and sign up to receive program updates:
Schedule a tour of The Village (HIGHLY recommended):
For more information: http://villagearts.org/2013/feature/space