Live Works Performance Art Award Vol.2
a Centrale Fies project
in collaboration with Viafarini DOCVA
EXTENDED! Competition entry deadline 12th May 2014
- 9 projects selected by Live Works will be invited to participate in a production residency from the 1st to the 10th July 2014 at Centrale Fies in Dro, Italy and giving €500.00 each.
- From the 9 projects, one will be offered the possibility of an additional residency phase at Centrale Fies and a €1000.00 prize (net)
Fee: There is a €24 application fee
Competition entry deadline 29th April 2014
EXTENDED! Competition entry deadline 12th May 2014
curated by: Barbara Boninsegna, Simone Frangi, Denis Isaia
Centrale Fies, Località Fies 1
Dro (TN), Italia
LiveWorks–Performance Art Awardis a prize dedicated to livecontemporary practices that contribute to deepening and broadening the idea of performance, following the current evolution of performance and its styles. The prize aims to measure the concreteness of performance art in the real world, investigating the double of nature of LIVE – “in person” and “alive” – highlighting those moments in which performance integrates with the dynamics of life. Created by Centrale Fies, in collaboration with Viafarini DOCVA, the prize includes a creative residency period, for nine selected projects. Live Works sees performance as a “work space”, and as an instrument and cultural exercise. The prize is unique in its particular attention to hybrid research, underlining the “openness” and fluidity of performance, its social and political implications and its level of public understandability. The competition is open to a wide range of emerging performative actions, including: media arts, lecture performances, task performances, text-based performances and multimedia storytelling, relational practices and workshop-based projects, flash mobs, politically engaged and activist projects, experience design, fashion design and relational urbanism.
Artists and professionals from any geographic location can enter the competition, as individuals or in groups, with a single project. The competition only accepts unpublished or long-term projects that need to be developed and/or concluded, for which participation would represent a continuing or final chapter. The 9 projects selected by Live Works will be invited to participate in a production residency at Centrale Fies fromthe1st tothe10th July2014, during which they will be awarded a budgetof€500.00toproduce theirperformance. The production of the performance projects during the residency will be supported by diverse types of curatorship, from theoretical to technical development. During the residency phase, Centrale Fies will provide a technician and a production manager to assist the artists as they develop the selected projects. The residency phase is an essential part of the development of the competition and the selected projects. In the event that the residency cannot be carried out in the period indicated in the competition announcement, it is possible to organise alternative forms of residency. The proposal for an alternative residency must be justified by the typology and characteristics of the project presented. The performances produced will be presented during the 34th edition of the Drodesera Festival of performingarts.On this occasion, the 9 finalists will be evaluated by a jury who will select the winner. The winning artist will be offered the possibility of an additional residency phase at Centrale Fies and a €1000.00 prize (net).
Artists who intend to participate must:
1. Fill in an online participation form, available from www.centralefies.it
2. Attach their portfolio, including a personal statement and curriculum vitae. Required format: .pdf; accepted languages: English, Italian. The documentary material must be contained in a single compressed folder, no bigger than 10mb.
3. Attach a description of the performance project to be developed during the residency period. The description should include an abstract (max. 1000 characters / 3 A4 pages, including photos, images), in pdf; accepted languages: English, Italian. The documentary material must be contained in a single compressed folder, no bigger than 10mb.
4. Attach links to any audio-visual material. Accepted formats: .avi; .mov; .mpg; .mp3. Accepted languages: all. The material must be contained in an external server (vimeo, YouTube, other), with the link and any necessary password provided.
5. Pay a €24.00 registration fee, which partially covers the administrative costs, via the online form or a bank transfer.
6. Only for participants resident in Italy: send a hard copy of your portfolio to Viafarini DOCVA, Fabbrica del Vapore, via Procaccini 4, 20154 – Milan, with the envelope clearly labelled “Live Works Performance Art Award”. The sent portfolio should be accompanied by the DOCVA archive form, duly filled in, downloadable at the following address: www.docva.org/italiano/portfolio.html
Registration for participation must be sent by 24:00 on the 29 April2014. Candidates who submit after this deadline will not be accepted. The postmarked date of the hardcopy will be taken as the date of submission. For participants who are resident in Italy, registration for the prize will result in an automatic registration in the DOCVA portfolio archive. Those artists already registered with the DOCVA archive are asked to please send an updated portfolio1.
During the residency period, the organisation will cover room and board costs. No daily allowance is provided for. Transportcostswillbereimburseduptoamaximumof€200.00for each of the projects selected. For foreign candidates, Centrale Fies and Viafarini DOCVA will seek to provide a letter of invitation for eventual applications for a grant or mobility fellowship.
The selection will be conducted in 2 phases: the 9 project finalists will be adjudicated by the competition organisation. The 9 selected finalists will agree to the residency phase and will be successively exhibited on the evenings of 28, 29, and 30 July 2014. 3 projects will be presented on each day. Each evening will be compered by a different host, who will propose their own performance, in relation to the 3 projects exhibited over the course of the evening. On the conclusion of the third day of presentations, the winner of the second edition of the Live works performance art award will be announced.
The Live Works jury is composed by:
GiorgioAgamben, philosopher (president).
Antonio Marras, fashion designer.
Jiri Kovanda, artist.
Barbara Boninsegna, Centrale Fies artistic director.
Simone Frangi, Viafarini DOCVA curator.
Denis Isaia, indipendent curator.
Daniel Blanga Gubbay, researcher in political philosophy for the arts Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf. CristianoSeganfreddo, cultural producer, general manager Associazione Progetto Marzotto and scientific director of Corriere Innovazione.
The jury has the discretion to not announce one or more finalists or the final winner. A tie for final place will not be admitted. The finalists will be notified via the websites www.centralefies.it and www.viafarini.org.
10th February 2014: competition announcement
29th March 2014: presentation event at Viafarini DOCVA
29th April 2014: competition entry deadline
20th May 2014: finalists announcement
1st -10th July 2014: finalistsʼ residencies
28th, 29th, 30th July 2014: performance presentations
30th July 2014: announcement of winner