Applications for the 2021 Artist Residency Program are open from January 6, 2020 through April 3, 2020.
The Watermill Center’s Artist Residency Program began in 2006, when The Center officially opened as a year-round facility. Each year collectives and individuals take up residence at The Center to live and develop works that critically investigate, challenge and extend the existing norms of artistic practice.
The Artist Residency Program is process-based, without the expectation or promise of a final exhibition of the work. Watermill provides artists with time and space to focus on developing their practice in a communal environment that encourages experimentation. Artists-in-Residence share their creative process with the community through open rehearsals, workshops and artist talks.
Artists-in-Residence receive access to an extensive collection of resources central to the Watermill experience: 20,000 square feet of rehearsal/design spaces and outdoor stages; a theater production archive (housed in New York City); The Watermill Center Study Library; The Watermill Collection; and The Center’s ten acre landscaped grounds and gardens.
Applications are reviewed by a distinguished international committee composed of artists, academics, and cultural leaders across disciplines. To date, we have hosted over 200 residencies featuring artists from more than 65 nations.
- Applications are accepted through the online portal, SlideRoom at https://watermillcenter.slideroom.com – We do not accept application submissions outside of SlideRoom.
- SlideRoom will lead you through the various required questions, attachments, and media uploads (work samples).
- There is a $10 USD fee per proposal that covers the cost of the application portal. Payment is accepted on the SlideRoom website.
- Please don’t wait until the last minute to submit your application. With many applicants waiting until the last minute to submit their applications, there can be technical difficulties on the day of the deadline. We don’t want you to miss the ability to submit your application because of this or any other unforeseen issue.
- We do not accept late applications. There will be no extension on the deadline.
- Applicants will be notified on the status of their application by mid-July. Acceptance and rejection notifications are sent at the same time.
For all technical questions or issues pertaining to work sample uploads, payment issues, trouble submitting, or login problems, please email [email protected]
For all questions regarding the Artist Residency Program or the application process, please first refer to our info packet and FAQ. If you’re unable to find the relevant information, then email us at [email protected]