SPILL Festival of Performance (London) October 25 – November 4, 2018
Online Application: https://spillfestival.com/spill-open-call-for-entries-2018/
Fee to Apply: Free
Description Of Opportunity:
New for 2018, the SPILL OPEN is aimed at early makers and artists whose practices may have been overlooked, regardless of age, working in between or across forms, and with something meaningful to say. It offers 20 opportunities for exceptional artists or groups to present work as part of SPILL Festival this Autumn. We aim to support makers whose work is grounded in generosity – to audiences, peers and cultural dialogues.
The SPILL OPEN replaces the SPILL National Platform, which ran from 2009 to 2016 in London and Ipswich. When we created the SPILL National Platform it was a deliberate opening up of politicised, high-visibility space for artists creating new performance at a time when artist-led contextualised opportunities for live art were seriously limited across the country. During the years it ran the National Platform supported 148 artists and groups, to audiences of thousands.
Now, just a decade on, everything has changed. A new generation of artists are active within the field of performance who were kids when SPILL started. Some have studied live art at college or university before becoming makers, producers and commentators. Coupled with the widespread integration of social media, we observe a significant shift in what live art is and where it gets created. And Brexit has prompted us to re-question notions of nationhood and national provision.
We also observe huge potential in the hybrid results artists are achieving by deliberately working across forms, blending concerns and disciplines in new and exciting ways. As a result, we have taken the learning from a decade of making the SPILL National Platform and built the SPILL OPEN in its place.
The SPILL OPEN is open to artists of any age, based anywhere, undertaking considered formal experimentation and / or investigation through research, that seek to offer some new ways of looking or thinking about the world and how we are in it together. It will support work which is considered and meaningful. We are also keen to hear from people specifically developing new forms tailored to the needs of kids or teenagers.
Applications are welcome from people working with, across or in between:
| || || |
Each artist or company selected for the SPILL OPEN will receive support totalling £2000
• A fee of £750
• A contribution towards travel
• Accommodation at the festival
• Per diems
• A package of producing, technical and marketing support
• High quality photographic and video documentation plus inclusion in SPILL TV
SPILL 2018 will take place between Thursday 25th October and Sunday 4th November at venues and sites across Ipswich, England.
How To Apply:
THREE KEY STEPS
- Please read SPILL OPEN – Guidelines for Applicants 2018 before completing your application form
- SPILL OPEN applicants may find the SPILL OPEN toolkit a useful resource – be sure to read it before applying.
- To apply, please complete this APPLICATION FORM.
- The SPILL OPEN is aimed at early makers and artists whose practices may have been overlooked, regardless of age, working in between or across forms, and with something meaningful to say.
- Applicants can be based anywhere.
- No formal qualifications are needed to apply for the SPILL OPEN.
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate students: we will only accept applications from current final year students who will have graduated before the SPILL OPEN takes place.
- You may only make one application.
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
LIST YOUR OPPORTUNITIES: Share your open calls, commissions, grants, workshops, classes, festivals, and more with the network. Submit here!
These posts are not affiliated with Contemporary Performance Network, but are of interest to our community. We post these with the caveat to check the sources and research the opportunities or views expressed in the posts.