Call for Choreographers – Dance Canvas’ 2018-19 Choreographer Career Development Initiative (Atlanta, GA) 2018-19 Season (Beginning September 2018; Performances March 2019)
Deadline: August 20, 2018
Fee to Participate or Apply: No fee to apply; $150 tuition for selected choreographers
Description Of Opportunity:
CALL FOR CHOREOGRAPHERS
Dance Canvas is kicking off our 11th season and we are looking for Emerging Choreographers or movement based artists who are interested in creating new works for our 2018-19 Choreographer Career Development Initiative. For this year’s program, we will select up to 10 choreographers to work with Dance Canvas to be presented in our 2019 Performance Series at the Ferst Center for the Arts on March 22nd & 23rd 2019.
Choreographers will spend 5 months conceiving, work-shopping concepts, and receiving feedback/mentorship with the end goal of presentation in our performance series. We encourage choreographers from all genres of dance to consider applying. In the past, we have presented ballet, modern, jazz, hip hop, aerial, and tap choreographers, as well as multimedia and dance filmmakers. Don’t be afraid to pitch something unique…Originality is a factor in our selection process. Applications are open to Atlanta-based and out-of-state choreographers. (*Scholarships available for out of state choreographers)
We define “emerging professional” as:
– Artists with professional credentials in dance/art industry (*If applicant does not have professional experience, we encourage collaborations)
– Less than 10 years of experience choreographing for professional companies
– An artistic transition for an experienced choreographer (*ie. An experienced Hip Hop choreographer, transitioning to dance filmmaker)
– A new dance company or collaborative
– An established dance company that is supporting the work of a resident emerging choreographer
Emerging Professional applicants must be at least 18 years old, and not currently enrolled in an undergraduate college, university or conservatory program (*Exceptions: Kennesaw State University or Georgia Tech student choreographers should contact their department heads for more information on our collegiate partnership opportunities). Graduate/Doctoral candidates can apply.
Selected Choreographers receive:
– Discounted/Free Studio Rehearsal space
– Access to professional dancers (assistance with dancer casting/auditions)
– Professional photography and video of the performance
– Marketing/Promotion of your project
– Workshops and Mentoring opportunities
– Performance (rehearsal/tech time) at the Ferst Center for the Arts
– Industry network connections (Complimentary tickets)
– Teaching/residency opportunities (*based on request from partner institutions)
How To Apply:
Application DEADLINE 11:59 pm on August 20, 2018
For more information and to APPLY:
LIST YOUR OPPORTUNITIES: Share your open calls, commissions, grants, workshops, classes, festivals, and more with the network. Submit here!
These posts are not affiliated with Contemporary Performance Network, but are of interest to our community. We post these with the caveat to check the sources and research the opportunities or views expressed in the posts.