Venice International Performance Art Week 2020 — Co-Creation Live Factory Dissenting Bodies Marking Time (European Cultural Centre – Palazzo Mora, Venice, Italy) January 8-18, 2020
Deadline: December 7, 2019
Online Application: https://veniceperformanceart.org/the-art-week/co-creation-live-factory-2020
Fee to Participate or Apply: 600 €
Description Of Opportunity:
Open Call for Artists
VENICE INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE ART WEEK 2020
CO-CREATION LIVE FACTORY Dissenting Bodies Marking Time
A project of the VENICE INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE ART WEEK
Palazzo Mora & Palazzo Michiel, Venice (IT)
January 8-18, 2020
(Open to the public on the days 15-16-17-18 January 2020)
Applications are now open until December 7, 2019
CO-CREATION LIVE FACTORY Dissenting Bodies Marking Time is intended for those artists, performers and visionary poets who wish to articulate and refine their skills, expand their practice, exploring new ideas and approaches, allowing their work to become more fully realised. It offers a rare opportunity to explore new territories of performance in an extended, intensive period of time outside of an academic setting. It is both a learning path and a unique occasion to work and collaborate together in the ART WEEK Venue: Palazzo Mora, the major seat of the European Cultural Centre in Venice. It is an opportunity for each participant to strengthen creative talent and intellectual freedom, finally to present the results of an immersive co-creative process publicly through solo, collaborative and collective performances.
CO-CREATION LIVE FACTORY “Dissenting Bodies Marking Time” is a 12-day residential performance program consisting of:
• 8 days of intensive, residential co-creation workshop processes for international artists in two tutor groups – one led by artist duos VestAndPage (Italy/Germany) and Andrigo & Aliprandi (Italy), and one by artist Marilyn Arsem (US). Selected artists will work in one tutor group during the entire process. Places per tutor group are limited to a maximum of 20.
• Discussions structured in the form of roundtables and open dialogues during the morning sessions.
• Morning lectures by invited international live art curators, organisers and practitioners.
• Four days program of live performances open to the public on January 15-16-17-18, 2020 at the ART WEEK venue ECC| Palazzo Mora, Venice (Admission free). Including performances by guest artists of honour and the film screening Pavlensky – Man and Might. The culmination of the co-creation process will be open to the audience: we will transform the venue together into a dynamic performance site through a series of collective performance operas, as well as collaborative and solo performances.
TUTORS: Marilyn Arsem, VestAndPage, Andrigo&Aliprandi
GUEST ARTISTS OF HONOUR: Guillermo Gómez-Peña, Kira O’Reilly, Pyotr Pavlensky (Film screening), others to be announced
CO-TUTORS: Fenia Kotsopoulou, Marcel Sparmann
LECTURERS: Francesco Kiàis, Joseph Morgan Schofield
At the conclusion of the Trilogy of the Body (2012, 2014, 2016), the VENICE INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE ART WEEK undertook a new path with the project Co-Creation Live Factory, conceived to be an artistic experience of a different kind founded on the principles of artistic collaboration, cooperation and temporary artistic community.
The concept developed out of the VENICE INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE ART WEEK’s core mission and its Educational Learning Program. The aim is to empower participating artists who are selected through an Open Call, to articulate and develop their individual praxis within an independent temporary autonomous zone of co-creation under the tuition of established performance artists.
The new course was inaugurated on December 2017 with its first edition entitled CO-CREATION LIVE FACTORY Prologue 1. It focused on the concepts of time and endurance and investigates themes such as the poetics of relations, the perception of the self and the quest for personal freedom. The second one, held on December 2018, featured the installation of the experimental collective performance opera BODY MATTERS: Anam Cara – Dwelling Bodies to explore the notions of intimacy and companionship, risk-taking and abandonment.
Following these previous two experiences, CO-CREATION LIVE FACTORY Dissenting Bodies Marking Time now consolidates the founding principles of the project, this time addressing topics such as dissent, identity, queer theory, concepts of time, transience and impermanence.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASE UNTIL DECEMBER 7, 2019.
VENICE INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE ART WEEK | CO-CREATION LIVE FACTORY is a project conceived by artist duo VestAndPage and independent curator Francesca Carol Rolla, realised by Studio Contemporaneo non-profit Cultural Association in cooperation with Live Arts Cultures non-profit Cultural Association, We Exhibit, Venice Open Gates, and with the in-kind support by the European Cultural Centre | GAA Foundation and ConCAVe Venice.
How To Apply:
To apply, please fill in the online form on https://forms.gle/yR8SH26MfY1SsFGm9.
Fee: 600, – €
The fee includes (during the period of the project):
– Accommodation in shared rooms in 3*** / 4**** hotels in Venice-Mestre (breakfast included);
– Venice City tourist tax;
– Local transport from the accommodation to Piazzale Roma, which is just 10 minutes away from the venue on foot.
– Please note that lunch and dinners are not included in this fee. We will supply a list of recommendations of nearby eateries and restaurants with affordable prices.
The VENICE INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE ART WEEK provides letters of support to selected participants to request grants or support from institutions of reference in order to sustain travel costs and/or fees. The VENICE INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE ART WEEK and its tutors will award up to three tuition-free grants to selected participants.
An extensive catalogue book on the CO-CREATION LIVE FACTORY project (editions 2017, 2018 and 2020) will be published after the conclusion of the project.
More information on www.veniceperformanceart.org
For questions please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
LIST YOUR OPPORTUNITIES: Share your open calls, commissions, grants, workshops, classes, festivals, and more with the network. Submit here!
These posts are not affiliated with Contemporary Performance Network, but are of interest to our community. We post these with the caveat to check the sources and research the opportunities or views expressed in the posts.