Opportunity: Applications open to study MA Directing of Devised & Object Theatre in Prague
When: October 2020
Fee to Participate or Apply:
Description Of Opportunity:
LEARN NEW WAYS TO DO THEATRE, CREATE YOUR OWN WORK & MAKE CONNECTIONS!
(deadline to apply: March 31st!)
MA Degree in Directing of Devised & Object Theatre a 2 year English language program at DAMU, Department of Alternative and Puppet Theatre in Prague!
The Master in Directing of Devised and Object Theatre offers advanced studies in the practice of theatre-making with a twofold focus: learning the process of devising a theatre performance from scratch, with a strong emphasis on a visuality of expression. Students will learn to create theatre performances with strong visual, spatial, object and media (low tech) aspects, as well as working in other related performance forms such as scenographic installations, sound performances, and other types of performances with strong visual and spatial dramaturgy.
The process will be based in devising techniques: creating thematic, conceptual, and/or documentary projects that are not based in pre-written plays, but are created mainly through the process of rehearsing, often as collaborative work of the whole creative team.
Students will learn to work with a variety of authentic, found, and created material: poetry, images, fragments of plays, songs, historical events, personal stories, scientific findings, common knowledge, pop culture etc. Students will further learn a conceptual approach to research and development of materials, creating specific performance structures (in the sense of narrative, space, and relationship to audience), for specific material, and proposing new ways for audience to perceive/experience the performance to provide the students with skills to become independent authors.
The degree is in directing, where directing is understood as an expanded practice, with the potential to work within the fields of design, writing, and performing, to prepare students for work in theatre forms without strict divisions of roles within the creative team. Students will be guided toward becoming independent creators making their own artistic work.
For their last semester and final projects, students will be partnered with prominent practicing artists, based on their individual needs, working in the fields of media, site-specific, community theatre, movement theatre, documentary theatre, puppet theatre, visual theatre, scenographic installation etc., for a hands-on experience.
Students will further have a possibility to create a direct Connection to international environment, artists, and institutions as well as connection to Czech artists and companies.
The foundations of the program involve practical work that provides the student with a hands-on experience with all the elements and in all the phases of project creation: selecting a theme; building a concept and dramaturgical structure; processing material; sound, visual and spatial design; dramaturgical work with material; creating material through rehearsal; performing and working with performers; work with puppets and objects; work with audiences.
- Directing theatre performances with strong visual and spatial components
- Devising performance from a variety of material
- Devising using one’s own material (not only interpreting already existing material)
- Research and development of material
- Creation of a variety of dramaturgical structures and research of material
- Performing, and working with performers
- Performance designing (scenography)
Sodja Lotker firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the course, fees, application please visit:
How To Apply:
Upcoming application deadline for 2021/2022 intake is March 31, 2021
Auditions will take place in April 2021
To apply, students must have a bachelor degree and demonstrate an appropriate level of spoken and written English for creative university study. Bachelor diploma in directing or theatre is not required. We accept applications from bachelors of variety of different arts and humanities fields.
APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT:
- completed written application,
- a motivational letter, including the reasons why they have chosen the program,
- a detailed description, reflection on, and documentation of their creative work to date including a dvd with work samples,
- a description of their envisioned Masters Study Project and their intentions in the course of study,
- a vision of their future professional activities,
- CV with photography,
- relevant qualifications (notarized copy of bachelor degree / diploma),
- an appropriate letter of reference.
If accepted, applicants must apply for official validation (nostrification) of their previous degree(s) to AMU:
- When applying, please follow the instructon published at AMU website
- The validation procedure takes 30 days from receiving the materials.
- After validation is finished sucesfully, the official Letter of acceptance will be issued and delivered to applicant.
- Letter of acceptance is required document for Visa aplication
All materials, including hard version of application form, must be sent via surface mail not later than y the day of deadline.
All materials must be submitted in English (or must be translated into English).
Selected applicants will be invited to attend an online video interview.
Please note: DAMU will not return any items submitted for admission consideration.
These posts are not affiliated with Contemporary Performance Network, but are of interest to our community. We post these with the caveat to check the sources and research the opportunities or views expressed in the posts.