Call for Contemporary Performance Makers for January 11-13, 2024
Application Form https://forms.gle/AMnmoTGgVY7cN55j9
Founded by the visionary duo, Caden Manson and Jemma Nelson of Big Art Group, the Special Effects Festival (SFX) has championed groundbreaking, genre-defying work since 2014. After a hiatus due to the pandemic, the festival is back to rekindle in the spirits of the avant-garde and create a shared space to gather for contemporary performance.
Held each year in the midst of the Annual Association of Performing Arts Presenters Conference in NYC, SFX celebrates the eclecticism of contemporary performance.
Past Alumni Include: Jeremy O. Harris, Sauda Aziza Jackson, Becca Blackwell, Lisa Clair Braulio Cruz, Maiko Kikuchi, Agnes Borinsky, Joey Weiss, Kate Benson, Jill Pangallo, David Commander/ Rob Ramirez, Panoply Performance Laboratory, Adrienne Truscott, Colin Self
Venue Spotlight: wild project Located in the heart of East Village, Manhattan, wild project has been the incubator for independent theater, film, music, visual arts, and spoken word projects since 2007. It’s more than just a space; it’s an ethos. An 89-seat theater that stands as a testament to artistic excellence, community engagement, and environmental responsibility. With deep commitments to LGBTQIA+ and BIPOC projects, this space breathes life into local East Village artistry.
Artists who present one piece under 30 minutes on one of the nights of the festival receive a $200 fee and a split of half the door with the other included artists on that night. Each artist will have a 2-hour block to tech their piece in the space the day of the performance. The artists will be supported by a crew including the technical director and light/sound operator. wild project will support front-of-house and ticketing.
- Open to all contemporary performance makers in the NYC area, with an emphasis on LGBTQIA+, POC, women, and non-binary voices.
- Submissions should clearly demonstrate how the work tackles contemporary issues and promotes critical dialogue.
- Both new and established artists are encouraged to apply.
- Performance pieces can range in length but should not exceed 30 minutes.
- Three or four performances will be presented each night so it is important that setup and strike be under 5 minutes.
- All performances should be adaptable to the 89-seat theater space provided by wild project and be able to use the rep plot provided. Specs listed on wild project website
- A brief synopsis of the work, artist biography, and video link of the work, link to images, website should accompany your application.
- Application Opens: October 1, 2023
- Application Deadline: October 30, 2023
- Notification of Selection: November 30, 2023
- Festival Dates: January 11-13, 2024
How to Apply: Please fill out the application form here. https://forms.gle/AMnmoTGgVY7cN55j9